Sunday, February 20, 2011

THE THINGS THEY CARRIED "How to Tell a True War Story" By: Tim O'Brien








I enjoyed reading the chapter "How to Tell a True War Story" pages 64-81. I always wondered about the different war stories I would hear. I wondered if they were true or just someone trying to impress other people. In that chapter Tim O'Brien states "You can tell a true war story if it embarrasses you. If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth; if you don't care for the truth, watch how you vote. Send guys to war , they come home talking dirty." (page# 66 second paragraph). I never really thought about it until now how true that statement really is, the more graphic the story is the more you can tell it's a true story. Tim also states "In any war story, but especially a true one, it's difficult to separate what happened from what seemed to happen." (page#67 third paragraph) I think this is because as human beings we tend to block out memories especially traumatic ones. Its our minds way of protecting us. In war everything happens so quickly its hard to remember every detail. Tim also writes " In many cases a true war story cannot be believed" (page#68 second paragraph). I've really enjoyed reading this book so far and I can't wait to finish it to see how it's going to end.



                                                




I got my images from: http://ronaldarichardson.com/2008/01/30/the-things-they-carried/ ,

 Citations:
                   The Things They Carried by: Tim O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment